Brown Rice Pudding (KHEER)
Kheer is a traditional Indian dessert and is served on most festivals or celebrations. There are different traditions and cultures in India, but all of them have some kind of KHEER dessert available. It is usually made with white rice and sugar, but giving it a healthy twist. So this recipe is made with brown rice and no added sugar without compromising on the taste. KHEER or Rice Pudding is not an everyday food, but you can definitely enjoy it once a month without expanding your waist!
1. ½ cup brown rice
2. 2 cups organic milk
3. ½ cup pitted dates
4. Pinch of cardamom powder
5. Pinch of nutmeg powder
6. Pinch of cinnamon powder
7. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
8. 2 cups of water
9. Maple syrup as needed for more sweetness
10.1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Wash the rice and boil with the dates in 2 cups of water, when the water boils turn the flame on low and cook the rice for about 20-25 minutes
2. When cooked add milk to the rice and blend with a hand blender to mix in a half-smooth blend.
3. Let simmer on low heat and taste for sweetness. Add maple syrup as needed for extra sweetness
4. Add cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, and let it simmer
5. Garnish with sliced almonds
Join Our Tribe !