Easy Vegan Daal Bhaji Recipe
A very famous dish made with lentils, called daal (Lentils) is rich in proteins and a very staple food in India. There are many variations of cooking daal in India. It can be cooked in less than 30 minutes and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. It is gluten-free and vegan.
1. 1 cup yellow mung daal, rinsed and soaked for about 5-10 minutes
2. 1 cup frozen spinach (without salt or chemicals)
3. 1 cup frozen collard greens (without salt or chemicals)
4. ½ onion chopped
5. ½ tomato chopped
6. 4-5 cloves chopped garlic
7. 2 tbsps of Avocado oil
8. Sea salt
9. Spices: Turmeric, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
1. Rinse and soak the lentils (mung) daal for 5 to 10 minutes. Place a pan on medium heat. Add the chopped garlic to the heated pan. Stir for a minute
2. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent. Use a strainer and strain the lentils.
3. Add the tomatoes and let cook for a couple of minutes with closed lid
4. Add the lentils to the heated pan. Stir well, cook in the juices for 1 minute
5. Add the 2 tsp of garlic powder. Add the spices- 1-1/2 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, and 1-1/2 tsp of turmeric. Mix well. Add salt as needed, mix well
6. Add the spinach and the collard greens, mix well and cook a minute
7. Have 2 cups of water ready and use as needed to cook the lentils. Add 1 cup, mix, and another half cup. Mix well, cover the pot and cook until lentils are cooked.
8. Check if the lentils are cooked, if not add the remaining water and cook for 30 more secs.Serve by itself or with brown rice or whole wheat roti or parathas. Enjoy!
Join Our Tribe !